Saturday, November 14, 2009

Digesting the offseason rumors

Lots to discuss on the Phillies and the hot stove hasnt been turned on yet.

Some things I thought about an news flowed in from the GM meetings:

1.  Does Scott Boras own stock in W.B. Mason?  I swear, the man never travels without a stack of binders.  I could do a whole post about my hatred for Boras and what he has done to the game, but I will save that for later.

2.  The Phils are kicking around the idea of two Tigers - Polanco for 3rd and Rodney as a late inning bullpen option.  I dont like either.  Rodney, although blowing only 2 saves last year, has a ERA above 4 playing in the grand canyon of Comerica.  I really worry about him in the Bank.  As for Polanco, he has been in a steady decline in his numbers the last two years, and never really had the arm to play 3rd.  While I like his ability to be a contact hitter in the 2-hole in the lineup, I would rather see the Phillies pick up Beltre, who, despite his injuries, has a much bigger upside.

3.  Some rumors about a trade of Cole Hamels have been floated.  I think that would be a big mistake.  Historically, pitches who have an innings increase of over 30 innings from one season to the next are due for a down year.  In '08, because of the Playoff run, Hamels threw 70 more innings than '07.  Thus, it was not a huge surprise (but a major bummer), that he had an off '09.   I look for Hamels to have a much fresher arm in '10, and the Phillies would not get value back to trade him after his down year.

4.  For long time Phillies fans, there is a really cool auction taking place right now.  Darren Daulton's personal collection of Phillies memorabilia is being sold at Coach's Corner.  I have bid on a few items (please done outbid me), and there is tons of great stuff from the bad Phillies teams of the late 80's, and the amazing 1993 squad.

No comments:

Post a Comment