Sunday, January 31, 2010

PA Progressive Summit

Hi....

Been gone from this blog for a long time.  Why?  Well, I was posting some writing on other places, doing the holiday thing, and generally being pretty busy.  But I am back now and, after a rousing weekend at the Progressive Summit, I am ready to put some new effort into blogging in this space in addition to writing elsewhere.

I will have a more detailed review of the stimulation sessions I attended during the Summit, but here are a few quick thoughts:

1.  It was really inspiring to be around so many progressives at one time.  I learned a great deal about causes issues on which I had only a passing understanding, and had the chance to really get wonkish while discussing the issues I care about deeply.  I really hope this becomes a yearly event.

2.  I was surprisingly impressed with Chris Doherty.  He was not afraid to give a few unpopular answers during the debate, he has a firm grasp on the issues, and he was personable, which goes a long way.  Many folks held the fact that Scranton is not Philly or Pittsburgh against him, but I did not.  Scranton is, by PA standards, a sizable city and Doherty has faced the same challenges in Scranton that he will confront in Harrisburg.  I make no secret that I am a Hoeffel guy, but the pleasant surprise of the weekend was Chris Doherty.

3.  As hard as I try, I just cant forgive Arlen Specter for his unfortunate management of the judiciary committee.  While I would not go as far as some by turning my back to the podium, had Specter shown just a little backbone during the confirmations of Roberts and Alito the Citizens United decision may have had a different result.

Much more later, and much more frequent update to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment